Byblos Market - Metairie, LA


Byblos Market is the grocery/restaurant hybrid of the chain of Mediterranean restaurants in the the New Orleans area of the same name. I figured this location would be a grocery store with a small counter in the back for take-out, but there was quite a few tables of seating.

As a first timer, I was a little taken aback when I walked up to the counter and was not acknowledged. Luckily, I spotted the menu taped to the counter and was able to look over it. I realized that orders were being placed at the register and as I was walking away, it was at that point, the guy at the food counter finally asked me what I was ordering. Towards the end, they warmed up a little bit but unless you speak their language, you will feel ignore because they barely look up and talk in native tongue amongst themselves.

Ultimately, I took the Chicken Shawarma entree I ordered to go. The dish came with a Salad, Rice Pilaf, Hummus and Pita Bread. The price may have swayed me opinion a little bit, but I was pleased by the quality of the chicken which was flavorful and very tender all white meat. The salad was good but I wish it had olives, the Rice Pilaf was so-so (it was like eating plain white rice) but the quality was good and the hummus was delicious and creamy smooth.


If you don't want to take my word, I will say that the place was pretty full during lunch and with people of Mediterranean decent so that speaks for something.



Byblos Market
2020 Veterans Memorial Blvd Metairie, LA 70001
(504) 837-9777
www.byblosrestaurants.com
Byblos Market on Urbanspoon