Muriel's Jackson Square - French Quarter - New Orleans, LA


The second stop on my COOLinary dining experience is none other than Muriel's Jackson Square. Located smack-dab in the hustle and bustle of Jackson Square, it is hard not to take notice of this restaurant. Obviously my curiosity set in and after months of living in New Orleans, I finally set foot in the place.

Although the building had been around for a ridiculous amount of years (from the 1700s kind of years), Muriel's had only occupied the building since the 2000s and even though the building is old as hell, the restaurant decor was a modern representation of what a dining room would have looked like back then.


I always start my meal at a restaurant with one of their signature cocktails. They have a pretty interested list but Honey Child sounded about right for me. Vodka, blackberries and basil, OH MY! Most cocktail preparations focus on the sweet or fruitiness of the fruit but in this cocktail, the alcohol was the focus (as it should always be) and the addition of chambord didn't make me mad either.


The Shrimp and Goat Cheese Crepes appetizer was extremely appetizing. It was like eating homemade ravioli in a luscious buttery sauce that tantalizes your tongue.


The Gorgonzola Prosciutto Tart was good but not as fabulous as the crepes. Honestly it was a cheese tart with a few crumbs of prosciutto on top but when combined with the apple, blackberries and the sweet honeyed pecans, it was a lovely starting dish.


The Pecan Crusted Puppy Drum was exquisite. I was impressed by the lightness of the batter and the delicate flavor of the sauce. We added crabmeat to the dish which took it up a notch, but despite any strong flavor, it was still a distinctive entree.


I am all about seafood and combining shrimp, fish and crabmeat into one entree is like being able to choose three men and make them into one dream man. The sauce was a well-prepared, rich and heavenly flavored concoction of ingredients. The biscuit had a slight sweetness to it.


I tried to avoid the Bread Pudding (a dessert at every restaurant) but the server probably heard me wrong when I asked for the Butterscotch Pudding and brought out the Bread Pudding instead. It looked so good and I am not one for complaining so I didn't bother to correct it. I am glad I didn't because it turned out to be one of the better Bread Puddings in the city. The candied pecans and rum sauce killed it (in a good way).


The other dessert choice was the Flourless Chocolate Cake. It was divine but was richer than Oprah. It was moist, dense and smooth like fudge.


This may be a quintessential tourist restaurant in the French Quarter, however after my experience I highly recommend it. The food is a superb representation of Cajun/creole cuisine and let's not that forget that the service is impeccable and that they aim to please. My only issue (if you can really call it that), was that I did feel a little rushed but I'll chalk it up to attentive service and I can't get made at that.


Muriel's Jackson Square
801 Chartres St New Orleans, LA 70116
(504) 568-1885
www.muriels.com
Muriel's Jackson Square on Urbanspoon